True love exists and lasts over time. The married couples, Herbert and Zelmyra Fisher (married 86 years), Norman and Norma Burmah (married 84 years), Duranord and Jeanne Veillard (married 82 years) prove that love can last for years.
You have to forget the stereotypes about black couples not lasting or the black man being unfaithful, because everyone acts according to their heart. And everyone is different, fortunately. While others frolic in the pursuit of the wind or the ephemeral values of materialism, others savour the good things and blessings God has given them with their life partner. And, I believe that this sincere love, persevering through difficulties, God rewards them and gives them both a long life (these couples are between 90 and over 100 years old), but also many children, who are a real blessing. What is their secret? Why do these couples last? The values of faith in God, respect for the other, fidelity, forgiveness, perseverance in difficulties, listening, support, true and sincere love help these three golden couples to last.
Oh yes, as I say so well:
“The man can’t live without his wife. The woman cannot live without a man by her side. And a woman’s heart is filled with the love of her man and her children.. “
Who would like to grow old alone? Who would not like to feel the warmth of the shoulder of the person they love at their side? For love is indescribable, elusive, and mysterious. Many couples want the best, but cannot bear the worst, but how can a couple endure if they cannot bear the worst. There will be cheating, infidelity, lies, fights, tears. But there will also be laughter, kisses, magical and inexplicable moments, children who are blessings before God. And all of this will remind us how human the other is, strong and weak at the same time, sinful and full of greatness.
Love is compassion and forgiveness. Perhaps this is the secret to making a couple last. A young woman said to me, “How can I forgive him when he has betrayed and deceived me?
I would reply, “One day it’s him and one day it’s you. We betray our loved ones in one way or another through infidelity, through lies. Couples who have been married for more than 10 years have experienced many difficulties. They know the strengths and weaknesses of their loved one and know how to forgive. They love beyond beauty and physicality. They love the soul, the intelligence, the relevance that the other person makes them feel. They love the moments when the one you love makes you laugh so much that you know at that very moment that he or she is the one who will share your lives.
Wealth and money are only material. And do not bring happiness, only goods. Goods, which can be stolen overnight and which we do not bring to heaven. But everyone acts according to his heart.
So, I end with my quote:
“”Like a flower, I want to be watered to survive, so water me so that our love will last forever.”
- 1. Married for 86 years, Herbert and Zelmyra Fisher, a golden couple
“For better or for worse… Until death do us part.
Can love last forever? Zelmyra and Herbert Fisher are examples of true love. I want to grow old with you! I want to walk hand in hand with you in good times and bad. All these phrases become symbolic when you look at this couple. Zelmyra and Herbert Fisher were married on 13 May 1924. For both of them, their marriage was a matter of course. For they knew in their hearts that they had found their life partners. They were in love, but they were also great friends in their daily lives. Together they lived through more than eight decades, through the Great Depression, World War II, the civil rights movement, 15 presidential elections, the Korean War and Vietnam. Every day their relationship grew stronger and more stable.
The two lovers are no longer with us today. May they rest in peace. Herbert Fisher passed away on 27 February 2011 at the age of 105 and his wife Zelmyra followed two years later in 2013 at the age of 103. May God keep them from above and may their love last forever!
- Duration of their marriage: 86 years. Herbert died on 27 February 2011 at the age of 105 and Zelmyra passed away two years later at the age of 103.
- Survived: the Great Depression, World War II, the Korean and Vietnam wars, the civil rights movement and 15 presidential administrations.
- Plus: In 2008, their granddaughter applied to the Guinness Book of World Records. And, the couple held the Guinness World Record for the longest marriage by a living couple.
- Married: 13 May 1924, in James City, North Carolina.
- Children: 5
- Grandchildren: 10
- Great-grandchildren: 9
- Great-great grandchildren : 4
- 2. Married for 82 years, Duranord and Jeanne Veillard, an eternal love
Do you think that true love exists? I can confirm that “yes and yes”, true love exists thanks to God. When love is sincere, when it rhymes with respect and true feelings, it lasts and endures the trials of time.
Duranord 108 and Jeanne 105, a beautiful Haitian couple, reveal to all, like the couple Herbert and Zelmyra Fisher, that love lasts forever. Some people rush into marriages, without real feelings, to keep up with the world. While others take the time to get to know each other and build the foundations of their home and their lives together. The loved one thus becomes a love, a friend, a confidant for life, who shares the joys and sorrows of life. So take the time, friends, to find your soul mate, the one God has chosen for you. The one who will understand you, support you, sustain you in the good times as well as in the worst. The love with whom we laugh, but also the one with whom we cry.
- Duration of their marriage: 82 years. They are 108 and 105 years old respectively. They were married in Port-au-Prince, the capital of Haiti.
- Their births: Duranord was born on 28 February 1907 and Jeanne was born in 1910
- Married: in November 1932, in Haiti. The same year Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected President.
- Children: 5
- Grandchildren: 12, including one daughter Marie Yoland Eveillard aged 61
- Great-grandchildren: 14
- 3. Married for 84 years, Norman and Norma Burmah, an inseparable couple
An inseparable couple in life and in business
At a live performance of Louis Armstrong’s ‘Roof Garden Dance Hall’, during the theme song ‘What a wonderful world’, Norman and Norma Burmah are introduced to each other by a close friend. The song ‘What a Wonderful World’ perfectly sums up the love affair between Norman and Burmah.
It was love at first sight and the two lovebirds became inseparable. As a matter of course, they were married on 26 January 1931 and live in New Orleans.
Nicknamed “Maw” and “Paw” by their respective families and friends, the lovers decided to open a private catering business, inspired by their Creole heritage, to support their lives. Blessed with 2 children, 6 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren.
- Duration of their marriage: 84 years. They are 104 and 101 years old respectively. They were married in the United States.
- Their births: Norman Burmah was born in 1911 and his wife was born in 1914.
- Survived: Together they survived the Great Depression, World War II and Hurricane Katrina.
- Met: their reunion at the Roof Garden Dance Hall in New Orleans during a live performance by Louis Armstrong, at their wedding shortly afterwards.
- Plus: They were honoured as the longest married couple in Louisiana.
- Married: January 26, 1931
- Children: 2 (two girls). One of their daughters is deceased.
- Grandchildren: 6
- Great grandchildren : 10
So friends, what do you think?
Can love last a lifetime?