Let not man separate what God has united!
86 Years of Marriage: Herbert and Zelmyra Fisher a couple in gold
For better or for worse … Until death separates us. “
Can love last forever? Zelmyra and Herbert Fisher are examples of true love. I want to grow old by your side! I want to walk hand in hand with you in good as in bad times. All these phrases become symbolic when you look at this couple. Zelmyra and Herbert Fisher were married on May 13, 1924. For both, their marriage was obvious. For they knew in the depths of them that they had found their partners of life. They were in love, but they were also great friends on a daily basis. Together they have gone through more than eight decades, with periods of the Great Depression, World War II, civil rights movements, 15 presidential elections, the Korean War and Vietnam War. Each day, their relationship grew stronger and stronger. Before they got married, they were first and foremost friends. Friends discuss, bicker and learn to forgive each other so that their relationship lasts in time. For them, the secrets of marriage lie in faith, respect, support for others and good communication. It is true that many couples break up for lack of communication and respect for each other.
This couple has survived time, but survived despite difficulties and poverty.
Zelmyra said, “We were poor, but we knew one thing. “
“If he had two cents, he saved one cent. “
It must be known that in the 1920s life was not easy. Herbert was a remarkable husband, because he knew how to face these problems by becoming a true support for his family. He was very hard-working and resourceful, which helped him take care of his own. Herbert worked as a mechanic at Coca-Cola Bottling and built his house with his bare hand in 1942. They lived all their lives in the house where they raised their five children. Despite their lack of money, they were able to feed and send their children to university.
We reap what we sow, they say! They planted seeds of love and respect that last in time and they celebrated together. This love was realized by 5 children, 10 grandchildren and 9 great-grandchildren and 4 great-great-grandchildren. For them, their families (children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, great-grandchildren) have their most precious heritage. Herbert and Zelmyra took time to discuss together, despite the departure of their children. They liked being next to each other, sitting on a bench or rocking chairs to exchange.
Herbert was a very romantic man. On Valentine’s Day, he moved and surprised his wife by preparing a meal of love. He cooked dinner for her and seeing her face glow, aroused deep emotion in her heart.
The two lovers are not there today. Herbert Fisher died on February 27, 2011 at the age of 105 and his wife Zelmyra followed her two years later in 2013 at the age of 103 years. May God keep them from above and their love endure forever!
- Length of their marriage: 86 years. Herbert died on February 27, 2011 at the age of 105 and Zelmyra left two years later at the age of 103 years.
- Survived: the Great Depression, the Second World War, the Korean and Vietnamese War, the civil rights movement and 15 presidential administrations.
- More: in 2008, their granddaughter made a request in the Guinness Book of Records. And, the couple held the world record in the Guinness book for the longest marriage of a living couple.
- Married: May 13, 1924, in James City, North Carolina.
- Children: 5
- Grandchildren: 10
- Great grandchildren: 9
- Great-grandchildren: 4
Advice on the longevity of marriage:
- Respect, support and good communication are very important in a marriage.
- They attributed the success of their marriage to God.
- They did not believe in divorce or remarriage. Divorce has never been an option or even a thought according to the couple Fisher.
Shortly before his death, Herbert said, “I was surprised, I did not know I would be married for so long. “
- Zelmyra explained, “I did not know either, that our couple would last as long. But I knew I would not be looking for another husband. “
- They advise couples who have bad relationships that they should: “Remember that marriage is not a contest. Never keep a score. God put the two sets, it’s the same team, which will win together. “
- For Zelmyra, the qualities of a good husband is: “To be a good worker and a good support for his family. “
- For Herbert, the most difficult period was the two months when his wife Zelmyra was hospitalized due to complications during the delivery of their fifth child.
- For them, it’s important to argue, and not always agree. But never physically. You only have to fight for what is worth it. Learn to bend and not break you!
We hope this article will give comfort to our reader who testified in My husband cheated me with my best friend and with many people in the world. Do not hesitate to share with us your love stories or heartache by writing us to the contact section.
What do you think ? Can love last all life?
Where, the case of the Fisher couple is exceptional.