10 stunning African thread hairstyle for inspiration
For generations, African thread braids have been a must-have traditional hairstyle adopted by our mothers and great-grandmothers. To make hair care easier, they used threads to stretch their hair and keep it in length. This natural method is very useful for stretching hair without heat, but also for obtaining atypical and beautiful hairstyles.
How does it work in practice?
The principle of thread braids is to wrap a section of hair with thread so that the hair can ultimately be relaxed and more flexible. The hair is threaded by wrapping the thread around the hair from root to tip. Since the return to the natural, with the Nappy movement, the braids to the son have come back in force. Naturalistas use it regularly, as it brings benefits to frizzy hair.
What are the advantages of african threading?
- Protective and aesthetic hairstyle.
- Ideal for growing hair.
- A method of stretching hair without heat.
- Helps to combat shrinkage, which reduces the length of the hair.
- Very useful for detangling and styling hair more easily.
- Pre-stress routine. If you plan to braid your hair, the day before, braid your hair with a wire to make it softer and more manageable.
Do threads really grow hair?
Yes, it’s a safe way to stretch, straighten and detangle hair without heat. It is a very effective protective hairstyle for growing hair. The trick is that your natural hair is covered and nothing can damage or harm it.
On the other hand, what are their drawbacks?
The braiding technique, if not done carefully, can break the hair if it is too tight. All this can lead to alopecia.
The appearance of pimples and patches on the scalp is also observed.
Lack of moisture in the hair can cause dryness of the scalp.
Any advice on how to overcome these problems?
- 1/ Avoid braiding too tightly at the roots when braiding with thread.
- 2/ Moisturise your hair well before wrapping it with the thread to avoid dryness of the scalp.
- 2/ Do them at least twice a month.
- 3/ Avoid starting the braids on the front of the face to avoid weakening the temple.
African threading: traditional hairstyle inspiration
Hair threading is a traditional African hairdressing method popular in many African countries.
You can use black thread, but it is also possible to use colored thread to create unique and atypical looks. This natural method is still in fashion. It allows you to embrace your heritage and your roots. In addition, it has the advantage of giving styles of atypical and very original hairstyles.
In the past, thread was mainly used for young children or for those who wanted to grow their hair. Nowadays, people of all ages and backgrounds are adopting braided hair.
Very creative, we see beautiful african thread hairstyle. Which allows the wearer to stand out from the crowd while looking classy and elegant.
How to make thread braids?
- Tail comb (to trace sections on your head)
- Wide-tooth comb (to detangle hair)
- Nylon thread or a spool of thread (preferably a strong one).
How to proceed?
- 1/ Wash your hair well.
- 2/ As soon as you get out of the shampoo, start braiding your hair with a wet yarn.
- 3/ Take a good metre of thread, double it up and tie a knot at the end. Prepare several strands on the side.
- 4/ Section your hair. Apply a cream before untangling it with your wide-tooth comb.
- 5/ Wrap the thread around the damp hair strand from the root to the tip.
- 6/ Tie a knot at the end.
Check out some sensational hairstyles with african thread below.
photo credit : Chidinma
What do you think about this?