Health benefits of exotic fruits: Tamarind, soursop and mango juice
- 1/ TAMARIND JUICE
Nicknamed Tomi dji or Dakhar, Tamarind juice is a drink rich in fibers, a brown color with sweet and acidulous flavors. Tamarind is a fruit of the tamarind tree found in West Africa, notably in Senegal, Mali, Côte d’Ivoire, and even in Cameroon. For many centuries, Tamarin juice has been grown in India, the West Indies and Reunion Island.
Its taste is similar to lemon juice. It is rich in vitamins A, C, B1, B2, PP. It is also used for its medicinal benefits and as a culinary ingredient. It can be consumed in infusion, decoction, syrup, jam, powder, salad or in soups.
In Senegal, we drink Tamarind juice to accompany thiep (rice with fish).
In England, it is used as an ingredient for certain sauces. Mention may be made, for example, of the Worcestershire sauce. But also, it is used to prepare jams, fruit pasta or season our salads.
In Mexico, it is transformed into a salty and spicy confection.
In the West Indies, it is an ingredient for syrups and jams.
In Thailand, it is eaten as a sweet treat rolled in salt, sugar, chili powder and also in sauces.
In India, it is used in the manufacture of salad dressings, curry, etc.
Some benefits of tamarind juice.
- It is a mild laxative. It relieves digestive disorders and chronic constipation.
- It helps reduce weight loss.
- Treats skin conditions and urinary disorders such as cystitis.
- Fight against aging of the skin.
- It reduces the level of bad cholesterol in the blood.
- Helps to treat conjunctivitis.
- 2/ SOURSOP JUICE
Called graviola in Brazil or sapodilla on the island of Reunion, soursop is the fruit of the trees of the saplinger, of the Annaceae family. Originating in Africa, South America (in Amazonia) and South-East Asia and the Pacific, this fruit is transformed into a delicious juice with surprising virtues. It is also found in the Caribbean.
Rich in carbohydrates and fructose, it contains vitamin C, B1 and B2. It also has calcium, magnesium, potassium, fibers and minerals. The leaves, seeds and flesh of the soursop are all used in traditional medicine. It has a sweet taste. It can be consumed in decoction, juice or sorbets, jam, cooked and in fruit salad.
In the Livingston area of Guatemala, seeds are used for local handicrafts.
In Indonesia, it is consumed in flan or gratin.
Some benefits of soursop juice.
- It fights against sleep disorders and heart problems.
- The leaves are useful for relieving patients with cancer. According to research carried out at the American University of Purdue (http://www.lib.purdue.edu/), leaves of the sapling tree possess properties that destroy cancer cells. They are known to cure cancer of the ovaries, breast, prostate, lung, liver and intestines. (Study published in the Journal of Natural Products).
- It promotes digestion.
- Relieves burns, like erythema solar.
- Effective against rheumatism.
- It maintains blood sugar levels.
- Protects the immune system and deadly infections.
- It is an excellent insecticide, it helps to eliminate insects such as mosquitoes.
- 3/ MANGO JUICE.
Mango is the fruit of the mango tree, a tree of the Anacardiaceae family. Originally from Southern Asia, grown in 90 tropical countries, mango is a fruit that can not be ignored with its juicy taste.
It comprises about 300 species, present in Asia for more than 4,000 years. Fishing from the tropics or Mali’s green gold, mango is rich in calcium, potassium, phosphorus and vitamins A, B, C, E.
The major mango-producing countries in Africa are Burkina Faso and Côte d’Ivoire. They are seasonal from March to July.
Mango is consumed in juice, fruit, jam, sorbet, ice cream.
Some benefits of mango juice.
- In traditional medicine, the Mango tree is mainly used for its anti-diarrhea and deworming properties.
- Its leaves are indicated for respiratory diseases (asthma, bronchitis).
- Remedy for hypertension, colic and dysentery.
- The decoction of the bark would heal the hemorrhoids.
- It treats high blood pressure.
- It relieves redness, irritation and sunburn.
- Excellent for the immune system.
This article fits perfectly into the slogan of our site “Feed your roots and take control of your future.” Many Africans or Caribbeans no longer consume local products from their homes in favor of industrial beverages, which are often stuffed with sugars. Exotic fruits and products have enormous virtues. Do not overlook your riches, protect your trees by reforesting, your plants. Nature is a gift from heaven, so let us love our planet, like ourselves. What do you think ? Your opinion counts.