Aksum, Ethiopia: visit the ancient city of the Queen of Sheba & the Ark of the Covenant
Mentioned in the Bible and the Koran, the love story of the Queen of Sheba and King Solomon continues to fascinate to this day. This legendary story is recounted in the Books of Kings and Chronicles.
What does the legend tell us?
Conquered by King Solomon’s wisdom, the Queen of Sheba travelled to Jerusalem to witness this enigmatic king. With her mysterious beauty, intelligence and independence, she won the king’s heart by asking him complex questions. Solomon rose to the challenge, marvelling at the intelligence and wisdom of this queen from afar.
Later, she confided in him:
“Your wisdom and prosperity surpass all that I had heard.” (1 Kings, 10:7)
Together, they had a child named Menelik. According to legend, King Solomon entrusted his son with the Ark of the Covenant and the Tables of the Law. Their son brought the Ark of the Covenant to Aksum, where it remains to this day in a shrine.
The mythical city of Aksum is the heart of the ancient Aksumite kingdom. It is an ancient city, home to the Queen of Sheba and the Ark of the Covenant. Today, it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There are remains of ancient temples, obelisks and palace ruins. Aksum also boasts a famous relic called the Ark of the Covenant in the Tablet Chapel of the Church of St. Mary of Sion.
What are the different activities you can do?
- Discover the town of Aksum and the Queen of Sheba’s palace (the ruins of the Queen of Sheba’s palace).
- Visit Mai Shum, a large rock reservoir that local tribes believe the Queen of Sheba used as her bath.
- Visit the country’s oldest church, Tsion Maryam Cathedral, and the tombs of kings Kaleb and Gebre Basen Meskal.
- Discover relics all over the city, the obelisk field and visit the mountain monasteries.
- Go underground to see the tombs of the Aksumite empire.
- Visit Saint Mary of Sion Cathedral and Aba Pantaleon Monastery.
What do you think about it?